Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Tutorial- Recycled Catalog Christmas Tree

It's Christmas time and it seems like we've been receiving catalogs everyday for the past month. Most to places I've never even heard of. I thought I would put them to use instead of trashing them. After thinking for a while I decided to make this mini tree similar to one I had seen on the Martha Stewart site. Hers was made of newspaper, black and white very elegant. Since I have 2 small boys, I've given up on elegant decor and settled on fun and festive. Which I think my little tree really is.

This project is fairly simple, a little time consuming but you can even let your little ones help.

Supplies:
Catalogs, magazines, junk mail (any paper that needs recycling)
1 Thick straw
1 Strand of floral wire
Some kind of circular base ( I used the end of a spool of tulle, but you can use cardboard)
Scissors
Paper Trimmer
Hold punch
Tape
Glue
Fun foam (sticky)


1. Collect supplies.

2. Bend floral wire and place inside straw. Tape straw to base.

3. Cut stack of squares out of catalogs.
50- 70 each of square sizes:
6"x6" , 5 1/2"x 5 1/2" , 5"x5", 4 1/2"x 4 1/2", 4"x4",
3 1/2"x 3 1/2", 3"x3" , 2 1/2" x 2 1/2", 2"x2", 1 1/2" x 1 1/2"


4. Poke holes in center of squares, then stack them on the straw base largest to smallest.
Add a drop of glue between every few pages for stability.

5. Curve top of straw and floral wire.

6. Cut out star shapes from sticky fun foam and stick on straw.

You can also add glitter, or snow to decorate your tree.

Have fun.




No comments: