Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Crafty Christmas Day 15


Have a friend that loves funky jewelry? Betsy Blonde has rockin' jewelry for them, or even yourself. From vintage chandelier silhouette designs, to rockin' hot pink guitars (this makes me giddy, it looks like my guitar) there is a design for everyone of your funky friends.

Here's a little about Betsy Blonde:

How long have you been crafting?
My whole life (in varying degrees). I have always played in my Auntie Betsy's sewing room - making necklaces with her buttons, sewing anything sparkly to something else sparkly... I could get lost in that place, even still now. This is my 3rd year of running my one woman business, betsy blonde, full time.

What inspires your art?
Old worldy charm mixed with modern fabulousness. I love old school tattoos, home wares, fashion & anything from the 50s.

What are your favorite methods/ materials to use in your artwork?
Acrylic / perspex sheeting is my most favorite material at the moment. It's possibilities are endless and limited only by my imagination - and Illustrator drawing skills! I love to combine the acrylic/perspex silhouette shapes on sparkly sterling silver chain. The contrast of what is essentially plastic with sterling silver is unusual but works so well.

What sets you apart from other artist?
Ohhh. I don't really know... I do what I do because I love it. Not to try to set myself apart from anyone. The best possible compliment I can receive is someone purchasing my jewelry. To have some one else love it as much as I do is the best payment in the world.

My favorite piece?
My chandelier necklace, hands down. It's not the most popular piece in terms of sales, it's my most favorite because it reminds me of my Auntie Wilma who died of breast cancer. I designed the shape based on a stylized version of the chandeliers that hang in her hallway. I loved to watch them sparkle when I was young. My auntie used to brush her long blonde hair in front of the mirror under the chandelier and when I wear the necklace it makes me smile and think of her as she was - happy, young and beautiful.

Get your Betsy Blonde jewelry on Etsy http://www.betsyblonde.etsy.com

No comments: