Sunday, December 21, 2008

Longing for Home


I miss home alot, especially this time of year. I can't wait to get back to South Texas and be with family. One of my favorite things this time of year is Tamales. I love them sooooo much, I can't wait to get to my in laws house and stuff my face. I've been missing them so much that since I don't know how to make them myself I thought I'd make something to show my love of the holidays and tamales. I made these little Christmas trees out of the corn husk that are used to wrap tamales. I didn't take pictures as I was making them but here is a short photoless tutorial.

Supplies:
Corn Husk
styrofome cone (floral dept at craft store)
Glue gun
Glue sticks
School glue
Glitter
Mini tree ornaments

1. Tear corn husk into smaller leaves.
2. Glue corn husk in layers, each layer shorter than the bottom.
3. Once you've finished all your layers, take a stripe of corn husk and tye the top.
4. Cut off leave on top of the tied area.
5. Put glue on leaves where you'd like glitter.
6. Sprinkle glitter.
7. Glue on ornaments.

Now you have a lovely little tamale tree. If only tamales grew on trees, I'd have a yard full :)
Merry Christmas!

No comments: