Friday, December 12, 2008

Crafty Christmas Day 22


Jewelry making has never been one of my things, but every now and then I feel the need to string some beads. When this happens, plain beads and charms just wont cut it, I need something special, one of a kind. Last time I was looking for a Dia De Los Muertos style charm I found Gaea handmade beads on Etsy. They are absolutely stunning. So detailed and colorful, no two exactly the same.

Here's a little about Gaea:

How long have you been crafting?
As a business, officially, since 2003, but have enjoyed jewelry and clay since childhood.

What inspires your art?
I find inspiration in the most whakado places! Out T.V. is on the fritz and all the colors are wonky so every thing is magenta I had quite a few fun jewelry pieces come out of that. Mostly I am inspired by nature and my kids. Customers are also very inspiring. They often have special projects and requests. I love that!

What are your favorite methods/ materials to use in your artwork?
Clay is my primary material it is amazing to put your soul into a little clay lump and have a memento of that moment. But I have also been having great fun with metals lately. Copper wire is relatively inexpensive and fun to work with. Pounding and bending it mostly. It is a great compliment to the earthy clay.

What sets you apart from other artist?
My absolute joy at being able to create. I think that effects my style as well. I get very grumpy when too much time has passed and I've not had my hands in clay. Someone once told me about being an artist that they couldn't live with out creating and they don't think about creating they just do. I think most artist have that driving desire.

You can find more of Gaea's work in her Etsy shop http://www.gaea.etsy.com

No comments: