Thursday, July 8, 2010

Wall Art

Of all the rooms in our home the master bedroom has seen the least love. I decided it is finally time to give it a makeover. Nothing big, we don't have time to paint the room, so I thought I'd make some art to hang over the head board. I had a couple of painted canvasses that were sitting in the garage, instead of buying new ones I decided to reuse them.
Here's a little step by step tutorial on how to make inexpensive wall art using old canvasses.



Supplies:
used canvasses
paint (I used acrylic craft paint)
sponge brushes
various size paint brushes
white glue
newspaper
water
chalk

Step 1: Cover canvas in newspaper using watered down white glue and a sponge brush. Smooth out bubbled areas. (Leave a few bubbles to create texture) Allow to dry completely.

Step 2: Prime the newspaper covered canvas in white paint.



Step 3: Paint background colors. I watered down some of the colors and painted them with a sponge brush. Allow paint to dry.


Step 4: Draw image or wording on to canvas with chalk.

Step 5: Paint in image. Allow to dry.


Step 6: Use watered down paints to paint a layer over the image. Allow to dry.


Step 7: Hang on wall and enjoy :)

No comments: